sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] openmotif ... updating lesstif and nedit

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] openmotif ... updating lesstif and nedit
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 03:36:35 +0100

Concerning the Motif situation, I currently have a patched up CVS
snapshot of lesstif running that seems to fix the known fatal issues.
Please see
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1578451&group_id=8596&atid=108596
for reference.

I have a tarball of the patched lesstif, dubbed version 0.950.0
(instead of 0.95.0, the last stable release), uploaded on my own
webspace.
I did that to have something non-volatile to work with -- without a
stable alternative, as the "stable" lesstif is just too broken.

Now, is there objection against me pushing that custom lesstif into the
grimoire, replacing the obsolete version?
Please, have a read on that bug report, and perhaps also this thread
before flaming:
http://www.nedit.org/pipermail/discuss/2009-March/009996.html

I really think that "upstream default" just does not work in this case.

Then, a similar statement can be made about the main Motif application
(for me), nedit.
A new release is not in sight, but there are essential bugfixes in the
current development version.
People on the nedit mailing list explicitly suggested using the
development snapshot (aka "nedit 5.6") in our distribution.
Would mages object to me updating nedit from the old stable 5.5 to a
snapshot of the current sources, tested (hosted) by myself?

Am Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:55:40 +0100
schrieb Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>:

> <http://www.citrix.com/site/SS/downloads/details.asp?dID=2755&downloadID=3323#top>
>
> which at least will test the dynamic linkages with lesstif.
>
> Unfortunately the Citrix stuff is binary only.

Hm, lesstif is not binary compatible. And anyhow... I cannot feel
bothered about such proprietary cruft. Sorry, to whomever it may
concern.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.