sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] openmotif ... updating lesstif and nedit

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] openmotif ... updating lesstif and nedit
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:13:01 +0100

Am Wed, 25 Mar 2009 07:11:05 -0400
schrieb flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>:

> Why not just offer both, like we do for most spells that have "stable"
> and "devel" versions?

Problem is that "stable" == does not work. Well, for nedit this is true on
x86-64.
The stable version 5.5 does compile, but it crashes with an X11 error on
startup.
This issue is fixed in nedit upstream for some time, but as you can see from
the ML discussion, there's no release in sight.
Basically I feel a bit like a coroner... it could be that this are the last
lesstif/nedit updates that will happen. I at least want nedit to be workable
for some time until I found my new very own holy editor.

For lesstif, it's a bit more tricky.

> I don't see the harm in doing it that way, and
> then you don't have to worry about breaking away from standard practice,
> since that would be standard.

Right, but the harm would be that the default is broken... unless we make the
the devel version the default. Hm, that would be an option, wouldn't it?

Use last official release version (buggy, outdated) instead of tested
snapshot? [N/y]

Would that fly (perhaps it's what you meant already)?
Note that I would take the word for it... I'd be inclineed to remove the
patches
from "stable" lesstif that are not build fixes. Though perhaps people would
like me to stop at the CAN-2005-0605 fix ... hm, perhaps I'd just leave it
there.

Alrighty, then

Thomas.