sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 12:46:02 -0600

On Jan 08, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> Daniel Goller wrote:
> > Let me just cut this out.
> > How about if we started a seperate thread, asking users to support us by
> > giving us info through ledger.
> > 41 machines and over 40 devs with some more than one machine does not
> > look like it's a widely installed tool amongst users.
> > I understand it's optional. With the community being so small, we might
> > get more support from users than gentoo got when they tried to collect
> > statistics.
> > The culprit there was it was a private project, privately hosted, not a
> > gentoo hosted project, since ledger is our project, the point should
> > never be an issue here.
> > Question is how many users know they could help us through ledger?
> > The more know, the more can decide for themselves to help us out, and in
> > the long run reap the benefits by time being spent on what they use, and
> > we all win.
> >
> > [Yes][No][Maybe] (Please check one)
> >
> > Daniel
>
> It would probably be beneficial to remind users about Ledger, and ask
> them to participate to improve their SMGL experience. ;) Might want to
> post to the website as well about it.

I think ideally we'd add something at the end of the install that asks if
they want us to set up ledger for them. But before we did that I'd want to
see ledger made a more formal part of the project so we know we have the
ability to support ourselves it if necessary.

We've suggested this before but I don't think we've gotten feedback; just
to move ledger to project hardware and get the code into git.

Ladislav, thoughts?