sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 10:00:02 -0800

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 02:46:12AM -0800, seth AT swoolley.homeip.net wrote:

> > > You probably mean that we don't support iso-based upgrades. We support
> > > in-situ upgrades the same as an iso-based binary distro would, but it's
> > > more like a debian update than an iso-based update.
> > >
> > > We don't support "upgrade installs" where the iso/installer does the
> > > work because the package manager is strong enough to do it (unlike rpm).
> > >
> > > We could always make cauldron handle upgrades, but it's almost
> > > pointless since we already have a better system.
> > >
> > Acctually I was refering to the people that install a FRESH system every
> > time a NEW stable release comes out with other distros. I know of people
> > that install for example slackware 9.0 then when 9.1 comes out they backup
> > their old config and do a FRESH install completly obliterating the old
> > one.
>
> That's just wrong on so many levels. :)
>
> Actually, it really depends on the distro's accepted processes. There
> really
> isn't that much of a difference between a fresh install and an smgl update
> in
> the end result. Circumstances dictate the choice here (mostly which distro
> you use).
>

> > Personaly I think updating from ISO might be usefull in a limited scope.
> > For example for a box that is not connected to the internet due to
> > whatever
> > reasons etc. But this can be done using our current system anyway.
>
> summon has a feature that lets you grab the urls offline, but it's not
> integrated into cast.
>
> Cast can let you download all first. If we added a switch that merely
> printed out urls and filenames and paused the process before casting, we
> could feed that to a script that runs on another box and you can write
> its output to a cd.
>
> Then sorcery could be made to look at cascading locations in addition to
> /var/spool/sorcery.
>
> Wouldn't be that hard.
>
> Or we could just provide an iso with all the updated sources between
> stable updates.

This is becoming way too tangential, I think it should move toa separate
thread for the benefit of other readers not following this thread so closely.
Thanks.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |