sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Daniel Goller <dgoller AT satx.rr.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 19:07:45 -0600

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 14:24:41 -0600
Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org> wrote:

> We hear from a decent number of users who do the 6 month / 1 year update
> thing, though we've never really accepted supporting that timeframe.
> According to
>
> http://ledger.sourcemage.org/users/statistic_live.php?select=openssh
>
> 6 of 41 machines (14%) are running openssh 4.3p1, which hit the grimoire
> 2006-02-01 and is older than what's even in the current stable. This isn't
> a lot of data (it would be nice if ledger could show the grimoire those
> boxes are on; does anyone know a way?) but it's what we probably have
> available.
>
> While people running stable in production are going to be the most
> critical cases (as you noted), we hear it from general workstation users as
> well.

Let me just cut this out.
How about if we started a seperate thread, asking users to support us by
giving us info through ledger.
41 machines and over 40 devs with some more than one machine does not look
like it's a widely installed tool amongst users.
I understand it's optional. With the community being so small, we might get
more support from users than gentoo got when they tried to collect statistics.
The culprit there was it was a private project, privately hosted, not a
gentoo hosted project, since ledger is our project, the point should never be
an issue here.
Question is how many users know they could help us through ledger?
The more know, the more can decide for themselves to help us out, and in the
long run reap the benefits by time being spent on what they use, and we all
win.

[Yes][No][Maybe] (Please check one)

Daniel