sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: Alexander Tsamutali <astsmtl AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 11:51:00 -0800

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 05:58:01PM +0500, Alexander Tsamutali wrote:
> 2007/1/7, "Andra?? 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>:
> > Which we provide them with.... What we don't support is constantly
> > installing a newer version of our system... It's meant to be installed one
> > time only and then only updated. We still have people running systems as
> > old
> > as hmmm I think 4 years and the systems still work as they should.
>
> No. Here i am talking about regular upgrades using sorcery tools, not
> ISO upgrades
>
> > Who said they need to upgrade? We provide a mechanism to ONLY update for
> > security fixes so there really isn't much to this. If they wish it so they
> > can also update the rest but it can be limited to security only.
>
> To get latest security fixes they should install latest stable
> grimoire. So if i use stable-0.5 and have some security issues i
> should install stable-0.6 and use sorcery queue-security. It means
> that we don't provide support for stable releases. This makes our
> process even worse than gentoo's (they use masking to mark stable
> versions).

There's a difference between appeared support and actual support.

Package masking means that they support packages individually.

Their testing takes even less into account in regard to this particular
issue. When they mark other dependencies "stable", the masking for
dependent packages doesn't get re-checked. There's simply no official
inter-package testing process.

Their Security updates have to deal with the same problem we have.

It's a fundamental problem with their stable process that we merely
officially acknowledge and attempt to control. We have to, we have
fewer resources.

Seth