sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:52:05 -0800

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 01:42:28PM -0800, Andrew wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 10:28:59PM +0100, Jaka Kranjc wrote:

> > > There was a list, it was derived from ledger's usage statistics.
> > A public one? I went to check the archives and found nothing.
> >

> Well, I think it was something vague like "top 25% of spells on
> ledger. That it wasnt posted supports my point, it was probably part
> of the problem and led to the aforementioned misunderstanding that
> all the spells had to get fixed. So yes, there wasnt as formal a list,
> but you should be able to find posts that allude to this list. What Im
> suggesting now is that we *do* make that list. I started it (informally)
> with basesystem. People can add to it with their "one spell" I suggested
> earlier.

I have it here:
http://swoolley.homeip.net/files/spellstats.txt

I remember sending out just the cutoff list to the mailing list, but
it'd be like finding a needle in a haystack now. The above list is not
truncated.

raw data:
http://swoolley.homeip.net/files/spellstats.html.txt

(that's straight from the big statistics.php list on ledger.)

program:
http://swoolley.homeip.net/files/stat.pl

The spellstats.txt gives you enough info to figure out what percentile
to pick based on usages. The last third of the file is a statistical
layout.

Andrew's probably correct that we picked too high a bar. You can see
the ranking by actual users mid-way through. Just take the top 100 of
those or so.

Seth