sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 09:16:53 +0100

On 6:52:49 2007-01-07 Alexander Tsamutali <astsmtl AT gmail.com> wrote:

> I think there is almost no point in 2 week release cycle.
> Users want to install operating system, install stable software and
> then they want to install only critical or security bugfixes (support).
Which we provide them with.... What we don't support is constantly
installing a newer version of our system... It's meant to be installed one
time only and then only updated. We still have people running systems as old
as hmmm I think 4 years and the systems still work as they should.

> After some time passes they want to upgrade operating system, and i
> don't think they want to upgrade every 2 weeks, so support time should
Who said they need to upgrade? We provide a mechanism to ONLY update for
security fixes so there really isn't much to this. If they wish it so they
can also update the rest but it can be limited to security only.
> be longer (at least 6 month, better more than a year). If we release
> often, a lot of stable grimoires appears and we cannot provide support
> over long period.
The only thing here I think is that we should still provide an unversioned
symlink to the latest stable tarball that way it's possible to keep up to
date with stable releases without needing to switch them constantly.

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html
Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6 F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C