sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Alexander Tsamutali <astsmtl AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 10:52:49 +0500

On 06.01.2007 00:00:50, Andrew wrote:
On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 09:52:44AM +0000, Juuso Alasuutari wrote:
> On Friday 05 January 2007 09:23, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> <snip>
> > Then, let's get that stable-0.6 out and start the next cycle with
> > real schedule that is fulfilled (a month, two?).
>
> So what would the optimal release interval be for us?

I think the faster the better personally. I want to shoot for about
two
weeks. I think thats do-able. If it isnt then we're taking too
many spells. Shorter cycles are better for two main reasons:

I think there is almost no point in 2 week release cycle.
Users want to install operating system, install stable software and then they want to install only critical or security bugfixes (support). After some time passes they want to upgrade operating system, and i don't think they want to upgrade every 2 weeks, so support time should be longer (at least 6 month, better more than a year). If we release often, a lot of stable grimoires appears and we cannot provide support over long period.

--
Alexander Tsamutali