sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Missing developers

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Missing developers
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 19:40:56 +0100

Am Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:30:13 -0800
schrieb seth AT swoolley.homeip.net:

> I've been thoroughly unimpressed with git, and I'm not in any sense new
> to SCMs. Never ever had an issue with subversion, never ever had an
> issue with perforce, but git just doesn't work, and to top it all off is
> full of corner syntaxes that are nowhere documented.

I just want to express some sympathy. I try to arrange myself with git and it
indeed is not easy for me, also because it is the first distributed SCM I use.
Cogito helps - actually, you should try to skip the plain git commands for
day-to-day work in the first place and directly go to cogito.
That would have prevented me from trying to use cg pull/fetch instead of cg
update for what svn update does for subversion.
Merge failures are still a nightmare to me. The whole distributed picture
with all that branching does not really fit in my mind yet - mostly
(hopefully) because I didn't really deal with that in any SCM.
Well, that's half true... I have branches made via svn copy for subversion,
but I didn't need the merge part yet for my projects.
And it's not that I never had issues with subversion (there are some), I am
just used to it after begin released from cvs.

Even when I don't like git, I do not request another change of scm. I was a
supporter for the change from p4 to _anything_ free. I would not be able to
contribute from my alpha box with p4. I am able to work with git/cogito.
Somehow.
I don't have to like it, it's enough when I can work with it... and perhaps
my mind will adapt with the time to work with git commit hashsums like it
does now with three-digit decimal revision numbers;-)

Anyway, thanks to the IRC people for (trying to) helping me in these moments
of despair with git (ruskie, most of the times).

Thomas.