sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Missing developers

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: "Andra?? 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Missing developers
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:30:13 -0800

There is no documentation for how to do an integration, nor
documentation on how to cherry-pick files, nor documentation on how to
use whatever merge tool people are using.

I told the git supporters that they'd have to have that before I went
back to committing anything. No process should be done unless it's
documented. That we've gone seven months without anybody volunteering
to write a script to handle the old perforce integrations we used to do
is mind-blowing to me.

Remember when we had an ISO process that wasn't reproducible (at all)?

We protested that. Now, I don't have time to get git working in my
spare time, for integrations. Every time I tried it, it broke, caused
unexplicable errors, or our setup gave me errors (the idiotic timeout
for the git daemon, which should be set to 24 hours, but is guaranteed
to not work even over a cable modem for a full download). Sometimes I
was told to upgrade, but I did and that didn't fix all the problems.

I've been thoroughly unimpressed with git, and I'm not in any sense new
to SCMs. Never ever had an issue with subversion, never ever had an
issue with perforce, but git just doesn't work, and to top it all off is
full of corner syntaxes that are nowhere documented.

It's probably the worst engineered interface on the planet. I cannot
think of a worse one.

What's ten times worse is when people write docs that say "just run
these commands" and never explain what they do. They almost never work
for me because I try to extend it one step above what the docs are for.

Now, if we had docs that actually explained our git process completely
and the why and how it works underneath, I might be able to get some
work done on it. As of now, nothing. Realize that git has 150 odd
commands or so and I'm not reading all the documentation that the git
devels have made just to do basic integration. If nobody can boil it
down without losing critical usability, it's just very poorly
engineered.

I was promised this one thing, but it never materialized.

Seth