sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] splitting cvs spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] splitting cvs spells
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 13:40:58 -0700

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 11:55:16PM +0500, Alexander Tsamutali wrote:
> > Can you please be more specific about what these particular problems
> > are?
> >
> > -Andrew
>
> I cannot give you some real examples at this time. But some time ago
> i've used gnome and had the following during upgrades:
> ./configure
> ... configure running ...
> error: i need the following packages gtk+ >= gtk_ver, glib >=
> glib_version, some_package >= some_version etc.
> I had all this packages installed but lower versions. As i understand
> currently there is no way for sorcery to know that this packages nedd to
> be updated too.

Your conclusion assumes we need a very general solution to a very specific
problem. In general spells expect the dependency will be the version
in the grimoire. If some packages needed a glib version >= something,
then the glib version in the same grimoire will be >= something (pretty
much guaranteed, if not the guru missed something and theres nothing we
can do anyway).

In other words, you need to update.

I dont think we support building new stuff on a non-updated box (we
certainly havent in the past).

There is an alternative to system-update in devel sorcery called
lazy-updates. Which while casting will recast any dependency thats out
of date. cast -Z always whatever. And any dependencies that need updating
are set to recompile.

I dont think full multi-version spell, versioned dependency support is
necessary to solve the common case problem of needing the latest/greatest
installed. I think the vast majority of the time any versioned dependency
is specified it will be for the latest version.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |