sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] splitting cvs spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] splitting cvs spells
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 21:18:19 +0200

Hi,

replying to the original mail as that makes it easier for me, hope you
don't mind ;)
I think our current solutions to handle providing multiple versions of
the same package are enough. For spells that don't break the dependency
chain with any version, the one described in [1] works fine. This is the
official policy by the way, despite it being in the wiki. I added the
SUB_DEPENDS note as food for thought, it should probably be removed as
SUB_DEPENDS can't really deal with conflicting demands.
Multiple spells for the seperate versions, together with a provider for
those dependees that can use both also work fine.
The only real issue I can see with the current solutions is that they're
not immediately obvious to the user. So what would make sense imho would
be a way to query for versions. An ad-hoc solution would be to have a
variable in DETAILS that says what versions there are, including
alternate spells if there are any. I'm not proposing that we do that,
it's just to show that there are other ways to handle this than adding
some "native" multi-version support to sorcery.

About forcing recompiles of dependencies when the version isn't recent
enough, I like the idea of having some function to specify that in
spells. I don't think we should make it policy that this should always
be used, usually the assumption is that a system is updated as a whole.
I'm not sure where we should draw the line with that, so for now I'd say
it's up to the developers until someone has a good idea about a policy
that we can all agree to.
Technically such a function should take a regexp or something similar,
as comparing version strings is a very complicated matter that's not
really solvable. A regexp can be adjusted to work for the versioning
system the spell in question uses.

[1] http://wiki.sourcemage.org/Multi_Version_Spells

http://www.sourcemage.org