sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] splitting cvs spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] splitting cvs spells
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 13:31:13 -0700

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 12:54:05AM +0500, Alexander Tsamutali wrote:
> >> Yes that is what i want, but IMHO it would be better to put this code
> >> into sorcery, not in spell.
> >
> > Why does it have to be in sorcery?
> >
> > -Andrew
> >

> We need to support several versions of spell's sometimes just because
> users like it and sometimes because we dont have another way. Our
> current way to do so is not so good: you need to use conditionals almost
> everywhere, conditionals in DETAILS look ugly.

You didnt answer the question. Instead you picked a broader premise and
re-framed the question within that (ignoring all other points and
counterpoints made previously). Nice try though. Care to try again?

Why does the force_depends version logic have to be in *sorcery*.

> One more bad scenario:
> $ cast epiphany
> we're going to check your gecko...
> very bad we need gecko 2006, but you have 2004...
> good news that we are wery smart and inserting "force_depends firefox"
> casting firefox, please choose version you love:
> [0] 2006
> [1] 2004
> [2] 2002
> <careless user chooses 2004>
> ... compiling firefox...
> now back to epiphany:
> we're going to check your gecko...
> very bad we need gecko 2006, but you have 2004...
> ARRRGH! Go away from me... No epiphany for you!
>
> "Versioning" draft goes in the right direction.

That breaks one of the conditions mentioned in the currently utilized
policy. Which is that all versions presented within the spell must work
as dependencies. If they dont the spell must be split. So this is not
a realistic example.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |