sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] splitting cvs spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] splitting cvs spells
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:41:53 -0700

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 12:24:28PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Jaka Kranjc wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 October 2006 20:03, Eric Sandall wrote:
> >> Jaka Kranjc wrote:
> >> <snip>

> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> We refrain from Bashisms in non-Sorcery files (e.g.
> >> /etc/profile.d/java.sh), but Sorcery uses Bash, so Bashisms are allowed.
> >>
> >> -sandalle
> > Actually sorcery doesn't use bash 3 features for backwards compatibility
> > reasons.
> > There aren't that many new features in bash 3 anyway.
>
> I was talking about Bashisms in general, not Bash 3 specifically. Given
> that Bash 3 is in the grimoire I would /assume/ that using Bash 3
> functionality is koshur.

We've been holding off using bash 3 features mostly because there aren't
any compelling reasons to use them that outweigh backwards compatibility
with bash 2.x.

For example, there haven't been any cases where we need regexp inside
a tight loop, in which case =~ would be more efficient than grep.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |