sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] splitting cvs spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Alexander Tsamutali <astsmtl AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] splitting cvs spells
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 00:54:05 +0500

>> Yes that is what i want, but IMHO it would be better to put this code
>> into sorcery, not in spell.
>
> Why does it have to be in sorcery?
>
> -Andrew

We need to support several versions of spell's sometimes just because
users like it and sometimes because we dont have another way. Our
current way to do so is not so good: you need to use conditionals almost
everywhere, conditionals in DETAILS look ugly.

One more bad scenario:
$ cast epiphany
we're going to check your gecko...
very bad we need gecko 2006, but you have 2004...
good news that we are wery smart and inserting "force_depends firefox"
casting firefox, please choose version you love:
[0] 2006
[1] 2004
[2] 2002
<careless user chooses 2004>
... compiling firefox...
now back to epiphany:
we're going to check your gecko...
very bad we need gecko 2006, but you have 2004...
ARRRGH! Go away from me... No epiphany for you!

"Versioning" draft goes in the right direction.

--
Alexander Tsamutali