sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL as GNU-certified Free(R)(TM) Distro?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL as GNU-certified Free(R)(TM) Distro?
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:58:55 +0100

Hi all,

<big snip>

> I'm just bringing it up for discussion.
> It wasn't even a complete proposal, more of a straw-poll and request for
> feedback.
>
> Seth

Well,

I'm no team lead and I do not posess your skills for argumentation in
english, that's why I usually keep my mouth shut but, that doesn't mean
I don't care, as I've read every mail of this thread (and I hope most
devs did).
But if you ask everyone to say something about that, I'd say that on the
overall I'm thinking more like you and I wish sourcemage could stick
closer to the GPL (or whatever other definition we use for "free") for
the licensing matters.
The spells are not what bother me the most because I like the z-rejected
system where a user actually _knows_ his system is based purely on Free
software if he doesn't use z-rejected (or am I wrong here?). Note that I
wouldn't mind if it was a bit more difficult to use this grimoire for
the sake of freedom. After all, I was used to install the nvidia drivers
by myself, without using the spell, so I guess users could do that too;
nothing prevents them from installing non-free software if they want to.

However, I've always been disturbed by the fact I have to use perforce
to help developing smgl. I felt really bad about that and it stills
bothers me everytime I do it, and I've actually thought several times to
do as Rycee and not use it but it seems I'm too lazy to do that way. :/
I realize there are special branching (or whatever it's called) needs to
develop/maintain smgl properly, but I'm more than ready to use another
scm even if that means to hassle much more than with perforce and that
the whole system has to be rethought.
To conclude, I'm really
glad/thankfull Afrayedknot some others are looking for alternatives to
perforce because it's what I think is essential to progress towards
freedom for sourcemage, and I'm willing to help testing those scms but
I'd need some directions as I'm not familiar at all with all that stuff.

Cheers,
Mathieu.

P.S: I'm leaving for the week-end so I won't be able to respond further
in this discussion.

--
"Monde de merde."
Georges Abitbol.