sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL as GNU-certified Free(R)(TM) Distro?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Pieter Lenaerts <e-type AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL as GNU-certified Free(R)(TM) Distro?
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 14:25:46 -0800

The list isn't as important as the benefits of actually being free.
Being surrounded by vendors who want to create lock-in at work, I don't
want to participate in it in a non-paid environment. I can't even come
close to assuring quality, not so much in a "I'm sure of this", but if
something comes up, I can't fix it myself. I don't have any money for
it, so I can't _pay_ a vendor to fix their product to work with
sourcemage (which is the normal way to fix a problem in a piece of
proprietary software you don't actually have access to). We're
officially supporting non-free packages according to the social
contract, so I don't have deniability if a problem in non-free software
crops up from a QA perspective.

If we're not supporting non-free packages, I want it explicit. If we
are, I want it explicit as to how much. Right now, we support it so
long as it's not a dependency of the core (which has been argued that it
has been through perforce). If I can build a support matrix for
packages that doesn't include any non-free packages, I'd feel better,

(The following is a separate and higher level argument from the one
above.)

...but I also don't want GNUdists to be able to say I'm supporting
non-free software by association with a group. The easy way around this
is to not associate the non-free to our group.

Why is that association important for the free software movement?
Because if every group that worked on free software also supported
non-free software, it works against the principle of free software as an
ethical solution to the problem of proprietary software. Non-free
software is getting free support from us.

Yes, I've heard the arguments that software is an ecosystem of free and
non-free, but that fails to the naturalistic fallacy. Just because we
live in a world with a certain patterns doesn't mean we are obligated to
behave in past patterns of behavior.

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 01:09:14PM +0100, Pieter Lenaerts wrote:
> quality, use, performance or necessity of packages A or B matters not in
> this discussion.

Ultimately, you are correct. Nobody is forced to use a certain piece of
software in 99% of circumstances. Cheap bastards that want to socialize
costs and privatize profit with a barter of vendor-lock-in and the
business risk of using non-free software, yes, they will say it is
required, as our social contract does, but this is a case where our
social contract is flat out empirically ignorant. Those who use
non-free software do at peril to those who desire to control their own
computing destiny and take it out of the hands of large corporations.

> what we want to decide is this:
> do we remove non-free software from our official grimoires and server or
> not?
>
> if we don't: no chance to get on the list
> if we do: I'm sure some people will publish and maintain a z-rejected
> grimoire. We would have a lot of work to get the dependencies out of our
> grimoires, but nothing's impossible

Actually, it wouldn't be that much, I already took a look at most of the
licenses.

> let's just stop claiming that gnumeric and abiword could replace OOo,

I installed both at a client. They preferred gnumeric over OOo.
Abiword/OOo is probably another story when you get into fancy
styles/tables.

> that java/flash are not necessary and nvidia owners are to be pitied. it
> has nothing to do with the discussion what person A thinks of package B.

It does have everything to do with the discussion of what person A
thinks of package B, it doesn't have much to do with the ethics and
philosophy of free software, though, although the standard argument
against going all-free is that there's tons of non-free software that we
absolutely need, while irrelevent, some people still believe in its
truth. To counter its truth I can assume its validity and attack its
soundness. I already don't believe in its validity, but those who
disagree sometimes take it for granted.

Seth