sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL as GNU-certified Free(R)(TM) Distro?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL as GNU-certified Free(R)(TM) Distro?
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 15:41:58 -0500

Andrew wrote:
I dont think that email strictly required html :-)
Sorry, wrong radio-button in Thunderbird.
but I'll respond anyway.
Thanks.
Basically whats missing are the things you've
pointed out are missing.
I was confused by your terminology, but now I think I understand.
In a word, merging.
I will try to explore that. I will try to explore that. I'm not against using in SMGL something other than what I use at work :-), gives me a better perspective on things, but I'd like to understand the concerns and find out if there's a solution.
For me, I want to be able to have my private branch be an actual
commitable branch, not just a seperate copied working tree. Sometimes
on bigger projects I'll do that with a p4 sandbox. Not being able to
commit sort of defeats the point of revision control.
So private branches work, they just don't work as good as desired, and you already have a solution for this problem (a sandbox). Another solution may be named branches on the server, e.g. branch/andrew, where only you have access.
Does that answer your question?
Yes, thanks!
Distributed scms let you take a working tree and turn them into new
commitable branches, either by definition (mercurial, bzr, cogito, etc)
or with a seperate command (arch, bazaar, arx, svk (i think)).
Darcs seems to be particularly strong in the merging area, maybe we should look at it? It even has Tailor built on top of it, quite sophisticated thing that does required extraordinary merging support. It's written in esoteric language, but it should scare us, we program in bash ;-).
Also, the ability to use scm functionalities while disconnected (or
server is down) is useful. Both svn and p4 let you modify files while
you're offline, but you can do p4 diff or anything.
You meant that you can not do "p4 diff?"

My original argument is that from maturity standpoint, there's nothing but Subversion. CVS and Perforce are mature but lack essentials like renames or disconnected operation, and all others are very young.

Sergey.