sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL as GNU-certified Free(R)(TM) Distro?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL as GNU-certified Free(R)(TM) Distro?
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:13:37 +0100

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 22:02:25 -0800, Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
[...]
> Switch our SCM to something(s) other than perforce for everything.
>
> Who thinks this is worth it? Who thinks it's not worth it?

This last point is the show-stopper for me.
I do not want to use some crappy SCM just so "we're free". Yes,
we have been looking for alternatives. And yes, this is another
reason to do so. But also, we have not really found anything yet.
For example, I would personally not like a system without a central
server, where
- You can only sync to somebody else's branch (though it could be
yourscm://codex.sourcemage.org/release)
- There is no "push" command. I would NOT like to have to ssh to
the main SCM branch server to pull my branch (on my box) into
the server and patch everything up.
I just want something where, as soon as I've modified a file to
my liking, I can update "the repository file", so that everyone
gets the update whenever they sync. And that function should be
built-in to my SCM tool.
[several other points ommitted for brevity]

So Far,
Karsten

--
Karsten Behrmann | Source Mage GNU/Linux developer, ISO team
BearPerson AT gmx.net | http://www.sourcemage.org