sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New stable grimoire released

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Pieter Lenaerts <pieter.lenaerts AT telenet.be>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New stable grimoire released
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 10:00:44 -0700

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 08:10:50AM +0200, Pieter Lenaerts wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2005 13:22:02 -0700
> Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org> wrote:

> > > From this page:
> ensues
> > >
> > > Where is the debate taking place, forums, irc? It's certainly not
> on the
> > > list.
> >
> > On IRC between the various direct stakeholders.
>
> I've no wish to kick any of you, but is this debate about prometheus
> limited to "It will have to happen but not now" ?

Nope. It's happening now, and there are developers on both tracks
('rewrite' and 'fix bit-rot and deploy'). I'd like to also announce a
newly created IRC room #sourcemage-quality for those who specifically
want to discuss QA issues.

> As you know if you've been on irc, I've been asking about prometheus
> and close to noone knew what was happening, including the direct
> stakeholders iirc. I repeat, this is not an attack to these
> stakeholders, only a pointing out that I don't think any directed
> action exists on this matter.

Work gets done when people volunteer for it, and the work that gets done
is what they decide they want to do. I can't force somebody to not
rewrite it, for example, if they want to do that. I can say, hey,
others don't want this and see it as a waste of precious time.
Innovation never happened by squelching divergent methods.

About people not being sure about things -- nobody's sure since there
are two proposals. If you want to work on the existing prometheus code,
talk to Paul (dufflebunk) and Andrew (afrayedknot). If you want to work
on a rewrite all in pure bash, talk to David Brown (dmlb*).

> The reason for me bringing this up: I tried putting up an old box to
> run stable and stable-rc tests on it. It broke completely by merely
> casting spells. Hence my concern...

Did you file a bug? Which grimoire, which spells, etc? Concerns should
be voiced before release or I can't do anything about them.

> I'm convinced we need more participation of developers for thorough
> testing on the stable stuff. problem here is that no developer ever
> runs stable except some.

And of course that leads to problems.

> seth and thomas, aren't you low on manpower?

Yes!

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
Quality Assurance Team Leader; Security Team Member, Leader Emeritus
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Elected Coordinating Committee Member, Secretary, and Finances Chair
Pacific Green Party of Oregon - Peace - http://www.pacificgreens.org