sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO testing 2.6.9-ntpl-test2

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Schabell <eric AT schabell.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO testing 2.6.9-ntpl-test2
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:43:02 +0100

> > [cut]
> >
> > >This has bitten several users before [0], hotplug will not save you since
> > >the users ive talked to cant get past the initrd menu since the keyboard
> > >doesnt work! I would suggest just using the suggested patch and just
> > >putting usb controller + keyboard support directly in the kernel. Things
> > >like keyboard support really should NOT be outside the kernel in
> > >module-land, its just asking for trouble.
> >
> > We were talking about USB CDROM device, not USB keyboards. So, your
> > reply is out of topic.
> >

> Well, its still the same fundamental topic, there is no usb support built
> into the kernel, or the initrd. Who made the decision to remove it from
> being directly in the kernel? What is there to be gained from having
> something as common as usb as modules instead of in the kernel? Isnt
> the iso kernel supposed to work on a wide range of hardware? Shouldnt
> anything thats required to actually /boot/ into a usuable system be IN
> the kernel? I can understand not having raid controllers or firewire
> controllers in the kernel since one doesnt normally boot the iso with
> them, but usb keyboards or mass storage? come on.

This seems rather counter productive posting... how about only
contributing something positive or not at all.

I was talking with BearPerson on irc about this, he asked me to post my
results, I did. This should lead to a better iso next time.

I am sorry to wake up the crowd on the iso sidelines. I for one am glad
to report my finding, hope they will help and eagerly await the
following iso.

PS. Iso makers, remain modivated even in the face of critisism!

erics