sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO testing 2.6.9-ntpl-test2

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO testing 2.6.9-ntpl-test2
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:29:54 +0100

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:50:58 -0800
Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com> wrote:

> Well, its still the same fundamental topic, there is no usb support built
> into the kernel, or the initrd. Who made the decision to remove it from
> being directly in the kernel? What is there to be gained from having
> something as common as usb as modules instead of in the kernel? Isnt
> the iso kernel supposed to work on a wide range of hardware? Shouldnt
> anything thats required to actually /boot/ into a usuable system be IN
> the kernel? I can understand not having raid controllers or firewire
> controllers in the kernel since one doesnt normally boot the iso with
> them, but usb keyboards or mass storage? come on.

Hmm. I guess the "why did this get /removed/" comes from the fact that only
recently I discovered that there *was* an official kernel configuration
in perforce. Without knowing about it, benoit created his own from scratch,
missing the "wisdom" (and stupidity and errors) of gurus before us.

The kernel configuration I salvaged resides in devel/iso/data/config-2.X
We should decide which one to use. We do have two ISO generation scripts,
but I don't see why we should have two kernel configurations too.

So Far,
Karsten