sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO testing 2.6.9-ntpl-test2

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO testing 2.6.9-ntpl-test2
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:34:26 +0100

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:33:18 +0100
Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org> wrote:

> Andrew a écrit :
> > On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:55:59AM +0100, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:
> >
> >>Eric Schabell a ?crit :

> [cut]
>
> > This has bitten several users before [0], hotplug will not save you since
> > the users ive talked to cant get past the initrd menu since the keyboard
> > doesnt work! I would suggest just using the suggested patch and just
> > putting usb controller + keyboard support directly in the kernel. Things
> > like keyboard support really should NOT be outside the kernel in
> > module-land, its just asking for trouble.
>
> We were talking about USB CDROM device, not USB keyboards. So, your
> reply is out of topic.

But true.
Anyway, just how are supposed to install from an USB CDROM?
you need the USB stuff in the kernel (or in loaded modules)
to mount the CD, which you cannot do if the modules aren't on the initrd.
Anything needed to use the initrd menu should be IN the kernel, anything
needed to mount the CD need to be on the initrd.

(note to david: We need a "load modules" dialog at the beginning of the
installer too, for e.g. raid stuff)

So Far,
Karsten