sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL advertising

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andrew \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL advertising
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:55:30 +0100

Duane Malcolm wrote :

> Hi all,
>
> This was the exact reason I started gaze.php. I saw the sourcemage rank
> on distrowatch decrease. At one stage I think we were 26ish. So I
> thought that having a reliable link that program maintainered can link
> to from their website would be a start. If when someone is curious about
> the program or want to fix a bug, or want to see how we install it, they
> would click on the link. It also gets support from maintainers.
>
> My plan is:
> 1. Finish gaze.php
> 2. Put gaze.php on codex.sourcemage.org
> 3. go through the science section and email the program maintainers
> advising them of Sourcemage support.
>
> I'm still doing step 1.
>
> I believe this is one of many ways we can increase our profile. I don't
> know how effective it'll be, but it won't be bad. And it's easy.
>
> Cheers, Duane.
>
> Flavien Bridault wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Here I'm back with a question :-) (no more reiser4, I know ;-) ). I was
> > busy
> > at the end of the meeting yesterday, but I wished first to deal with this
> > at
> > this moment. Well it's not a question but rather a suggestion.
> >
> > So all is in the title, if you go on http://www.distrowatch.com, you will
> > see
> > that SMGL has reached 53th rank over the year (which is not too bad),
> > 63th
> > over the past six months, 67th over the past three months and...99th rank
> > over the last month!! Over the last month, we are less popular than Lunar
> > or
> > Sorcerer, and I'm afraid that we will soon leave the classification
> > (since
> > only the first hundred are displayed on the main page) !
> >
> > Well don't worry, I know how silly this classification is made (number of
> > click per day, one click per IP) but I believe that a lot people watch it
> > when they want to change their distro. And this will obviously not
> > encourage
> > them to try Sourcemage.
> >
> > The new website should indeed made us more attractive.
> >
> > But I also think about an easy thing that could be done. What is the main
> > gentoo advertising ?? For me it's the fact that in most of the downloads
> > section of free softwares, you can find :
> > Gentoo
> > emerge software
> >
> > Why won't we try to do as well ?? Inform maintainers, as soon as we
> > create a
> > new spell for example (and backwards for older spells), that their
> > software
> > has been integrated into the "official" grimoire ? That SMGL users can
> > just
> > do :
> > cast software
> >
> > We could name this campaign : "Just cast it" :-p
> > This would be, imho, an easy way of advertising, and probably one of the
> [...]

You planing to add also bugzilla integration to it so that we could have bugs
linked to it?
Would make it more like debians package tracking system which I think is a
great idea.
That way the developer can subscribe to the his/her own apps spell specificaly
and get any related feedback to it.

Just my two cents

--
Andrew "ruskie" Levstik

For all the knowledge... || URL: http://ruskie.pixelcarnage.com
I will prevail... || ICQ: 321223361
If I fail nothing is left... || MSN: ruskie_0 AT yahoo.co.uk
All is lost... || Jabber: ruskie AT jabber.org
Never to be seen again... || Yahoo!: ruskie_0
Nevermore...

EtPan! - nicest email client I have seen -
http://libetpan.sourceforge.net/etpan

Key ID = 32FE2034
Key fingerprint = EF36 041B E2A5 4E6F 7B3E 6B45 C0F2 E234 32FE 2034