sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL advertising

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL advertising
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:52:55 +0100

> the fact that yopper,etc. do nothing means nothing. we have to look around
> and do what we think is good, plan ahead what we think that will be good,
> evaluate if what we thought was good prooved to be good and adapt our
> strategy.

<snip>

> 1. in your line of thought, there is no way to get any attention at all
> from users:
> noone knows a distro so noone likes a distro so noone speaks of it so noone
> knows of it so noone likes it, ...

I didn't say we should do nothing; I for example, try to spread smgl
among my friends or among the devs and users I am in touch with, thanks
to the maintaining of my section. But I consider that very different
from putting some links on the maintainers' page, I'm only using mouth
to ear (or rather finger to eye through IRC or email) pubilicity which
I find way less agressive and more friendly.

> 2. publicity != advertisement: publicity is attention you get from third
> parties such as distrowatch or linuxgazette, while advertisement is using
> mass communication for a price to spread your message instead of a message
> by a third party. publicity is what we need, since people want opinions
> from others than our developers, and certainly not empty advertisement
> messages.

Heh, in french there is no distinction between publicity and
advertisement, they're both called "publicité", that's maybe why I'm so
reluctant about this idea. But according to your definitions I'd be ok
with publicity and against advertisement.

> 3. this is a textbook example of how product-focused strategy fails:
> producer knows that his product is best, thus assumes that everybody shares
> his opinion and from his lack of market-orientation, he alienates from what
> consumers want, what other producers do,... there's nothing wrong with
> knowing your product is best, but keep your eyes open to what happens
> around you or your product will not be known or used and your product will
> not stay the best.

I don't agree about the blinding part: we already have enough users and
different developpers so that a dev usually get some feedback about what
he's doing. Take Andrew for example, you can't say he's developping
sorcery without having a clue about what we'd like to see in sorcery and
what features are lacking atm.
However I reckon that we lacked some testers for the iso but it seems
it's getting better everyday and it's obvious we need more devs in
general (at least to fill all the sections) but I'm very confident about
that since smgl constantly gain some new devs.

> > Yeah, I know, I would suck as a seller.... ;)
>
> nothing wrong with that ;)
> I suck at technical IT knowledge :)

That doesn't mean I rock at this part either :P

Cheers,
Mathieu.

--
We are Microsoft. Linux is irrelevant.
Openness is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.