sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL advertising

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL advertising
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:38:54 -0600

On Jan 23, Flavien Bridault [f.bridault AT fra.net] wrote:
> Yes, as Pieter tends to say, the goal is not to say : "We are the nicest,
> more reliable, more stable distro", but a least that people KNOWS that we
> exist. And if we go out the distrowatch classification, I fear that
> we're going to be forgotten... :-(

For what it's worth you're currently getting quite a few new users from my
company/sphere of influence. We're mostly people who never quite liked
gentoo to begin with or didn't like the direction it went after it got
focused on having as many users as possible. Several are just people who
have been needing to try out Linux (from a sysadmin perspective) and were
looking for a distro that was good for learning. And we don't plan to just
be users, either... several of us are already building spells.

I know I'm too new around here to say much, but I just wanted to note that
if sourcemage wants to stay the great distro for advanced users that it is,
you don't need to worry much about advertising. The kind of people that
like this kind of distro are tend to know other people looking for this
kind of distro, and word of mouth works very well. We certainly didn't
learn about SMGL from distrowatch or anything like that, we learned about
it because we needed a better distro and went looking for one.

I do know a bit of what I speak - I have a fair bit of experience with the
Mutt project. As most of you know it's one of the most popular cli mailers
among sysadmins. We've never done anything to try get our name out there
or make sure people know about us... the goal is just to make a mailer that
works for us, and if other people want something like that they'll find it.
We certainly don't have any kind of good-looking website, and that's not
for lack of ability, it's kept basic by design. It wasn't even until
fairly recently that we had any development information beyond the dev list
mentioned on the site, because we wanted people to be serious enough to go
looking for that info before they bothered to get involved.