sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [fhs-discuss] Informal Straw Poll for /srv and /media

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [fhs-discuss] Informal Straw Poll for /srv and /media
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 04:09:25 -0800

Arwed, et al.,

I was just reading the draft FHS 2.3 today, oddly enough, and I didn't
like the /srv and /media ideas then, either.

If they force /media on us, I say we symlink it to /mnt and then change
our files to say /media instead of /mnt. (Do we actually have anything
in our code dealing touching /mnt?)

As far as /srv: /var/www /var/pgsql /var/<service> seem a lot more
natural to me.

Personally, I always make a /web a symlink to my web data directory on
every distro I use because I can never remember where everything is
supposed to go, and /data for the database. But I wouldn't force it on
users.

right now I check /var, /usr, /usr/local, /home, /etc, /opt for where
things install. I'm used to a diversity, I guess. It sure would be
nice to standardize it, and /var/<service> is my preferred location for
default service data.

I also feel for the tab-completion arguments. /srv and /sbin, /media
and /mnt ... VERY bad idea to pollute the root dir tab-encoding with
those.

I would suggest they add /var/chroot/<lanana> for chrooted services as
well.

Seth
--
Seth Alan Woolley <seth at positivism.org>, SPAM/UCE is unauthorized
Key id EF10E21A = 36AD 8A92 8499 8439 E6A8 3724 D437 AF5D EF10 E21A