sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [fhs-discuss] Informal Straw Poll for /srv and /media

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [fhs-discuss] Informal Straw Poll for /srv and /media
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:56:35 +0100

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:56:52PM +1100, Hamish Greig wrote:
> - - one vote to reject /media and vote for /cdrom /floppy /zip (nice and
> clean
> IMO) in absence of support for dirs in / I prefer system default to have
> these hidden in /mnt rather than have a *confusingly* named /media

/cdrom /floppy /zip is the worst case i can think of :P
Imagine a system with two cdroms, two floppy drives, a zip drive, a usb
camera, a usb mp3 player, two windows partitions; that makes nine
additional directories in /
So there definitely needs to be a directory for those mounts, i still
prefer /mnt over /media, although that seems to go against common unix
practice. Someone on fhs-discuss just suggested /var/mnt. I could live
with that.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video