sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [fhs-discuss] Informal Straw Poll for /srv and /media

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Damien Mascord <tusker AT tusker.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [fhs-discuss] Informal Straw Poll for /srv and /media
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:32:42 +0800

As for /mnt, it seems that *either* /mnt or /mount is fine, and with tab completion, just have one or the other really :)

As for /srv, i think that this is a move in the right direction. With the differing distros that you use, say RedHat, Debian, SourceMage, + other OS's etc... you install a package such as apache...
1) there is no binary called apache to begin with *sigh* (usually)
2) some put their crud in /home/www, some in /var/www, some in /usr/share/www and various places... this makes it confusing remember which distro has their default data directory in what location. And then some call their config directory /etc/httpd, some /etc/apache...

So, I install a package... and then I want to edit the default index.html... do I always have to go and look in the httpd.conf?? Gah!

</rant>

Damien

Eric Sandall wrote:

As for /srv/, wtf? We all know that packages go into /usr, and if you don't
know
which packages of yours are server packages, what the hell (sorry) are you
doing using a computer? Also, isn't /var for data (even though our packages
put
it under /usr/share, except for the databases and a few others, but things
like
apache*, horde, and such)?

Votes (in order of preference, minus those I find unacceptable ;):

/media:
1. /mnt/cdrom
2. /cdrom
3. No change

/srv
1. Reject
2. Other: WTH were you thinking and why can't you keep track of the packages
you
installed?

-sandalle

--
Damien Mascord (tusker at tusker dot org)
GPG key 2CB181BE / 93B2 EF21 0C7C F022 F467 7966 219E 92B3 2CB1 81BE