sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [fhs-discuss] Informal Straw Poll for /srv and /media

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [fhs-discuss] Informal Straw Poll for /srv and /media
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:55:19 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Tony Smith wrote:

> My vote: If it's not broken, don't fix it

Agreed!

/media:
A superuser should know how to create a directory somewhere if
they need to make an emergency mount. This could be /mnt/tmp, /tmp/mnt,
/stupid/fscking/part, etc. They could even mount on /mnt, making the other
mounts (i.e. /mnt/cdrom, etc.) inaccessible. If it's an emergency, does it
really matter if the cdrom is accessible?

/srv:
This has been pretty well covered already. /var and /home are both
good places for server data. Adding another partition just seems a waste.

I'm voting against both of these and I really hope that the fhs people get
a negative response to this. If it really makes it into a the next fhs
standard, then I suggest we say screw maintaining fhs compatability.

-casey