sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] /devices to /dev

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: The Well-Beloved Bard <dezmond AT bardicgrove.org>
  • To: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] /devices to /dev
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:44:21 -0700 (PDT)

Careful, Andrew - no need to flame someone who's trying to share knowledge
here. I know devfsd makes the links for you. However, I have run into a
problem with devfsd that I thought other people might want to be aware of
so that it wouldn't bite them like it did me.

Devfsd _only_ creates links for the devices it knows about. So, if it
doesn't know about the device, it can't make a link. If the SCSI driver
is compiled into the kernel, it's not loaded when devfsd creates its
links. Since it's not loaded, /dev/sdAX aren't populated, so devfsd
doesn't do anything with it. Because devfs is mounting on /dev, it
"hides" the /dev/sdAX entries, so when you get to the kernel (that has the
driver statically compiled in), the driver tries to assign /dev/sdAX
values to the drives connected to the SCSI adapter, but can't, because
those special block devices are "hidden" by the mount, and aren't visible
to the driver.

This is not a big deal, as long as you don't compile the SCSI controller
driver statically. If you do have the SCSI controller drivers compiled
in statically, and mount devfs at /dev, however, you don't get to
access your drives because IT CAN'T MAKE THE LINKS! I thought that
since it makes your drives inaccessible until you recompile the driver as
a module, that I would save people having to bang their heads against a
wall I'd already found the door to.

--steve--
who remembers when informative messages to the SM lists were welcomed
instead of flamed...