sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] /devices to /dev

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Belxjander <Belxjander AT 202-0-42-165.paradise.net.nz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] /devices to /dev
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 03:44:21 +1200

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 03:32, Andrew wrote:
> A while back, and several other times the /dev and /devices discussion
> has been brought up. I think the last time i was mentioned we decided
> to migrate away from /devices.
>
> Since no one has really volunteered a way to do this, and i've done it on
> my own system for nearly a year, so Im going to write down how to do it,
> and hope this catalyzes something.
>
> To swap an existing system over you need to do three things:
> change mount.sh in several ways
> fix /etc/fstab
> optionally install devfsd
>
> mount.sh needs to mount devfs on /dev not /devices, thats a change to
> whatever spell that file happens to come in.

Kernel option bypasses this requirement... see in the kernel menuconfig
under enabling the devfs...

> fstab needs to be updated. The following should take care of it:
> cat /etc/fstab|sed 's/^\/devices/\/dev/' > /tmp/fstab; mv /tmp/fstab
> /etc/fstab

I mount on both /dev [kernel automagic], and /devices [unmodded mount.sh]
and kept this against /devices ... I get to optionally disable devfs on /dev
and rescue my system if I absolutely need to... I have an alternate kernel
that is patched for custom extensions that break against devfs presence

> I also made a symlink from /devices to /dev, however if everything gets
> properly switched it wont matter.

> devfsd is a great tool which handles making symlinks to the older style
> devices, ie /dev/hda1 etc. There is a spell for it, it is however missing
> a way to be loaded at bootup. However a simple if [ -x /sbin/devfsd ];
> then /sbin/devfsd /dev; fi in mount.sh would suffice. You also dont
> _have_ to run devfsd, you just dont get any of its cool features.

> Assuming there arent any lingering references to /devices somewhere,
> then the /devices directory or symlink can be removed.
>
> To carry this out we ought to script the whole thing. It shouldnt be
> too difficult. Also, the mount.sh script ought to change to accomidate
> the changeover.
>

> I think that the iso's ought to change over too for all new installee's.

I might look at doing this in the iso images I create