sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] /devices to /dev

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] /devices to /dev
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:09:23 -0700

> Well depending no how much you change your hardware... I know it only
> takes up a few clockcycles, and most of it is in ram. Im just a total
> control freak :).
> SOrry I missed you saying it was optional. Sorry

Im a control freak too, devfsd actually gives you lots of really cool
control over just about everything, which is why i become so adiment
about using it. Im actually (once i figure out how/where) going to make
the entire swapover optional. Something along the lines of

if [ -d /devices ]; then
do you want me to fix it? y/n
if [ y ];then
do you want a symlink for backwards compatibility?
do you want devfsd (gives you support for old style devices,
automagic permissions updates)
fi
fi

keep in mind devfsd (to my understanding) blocks on commands from the
kernel after it starts up, so its essentially sleeping until you need
something changed, which requires only the ram for a process state,
sitting on the busy queue.