sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] /devices to /dev

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: The Well-Beloved Bard <dezmond AT bardicgrove.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] /devices to /dev
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:23:47 -0700 (PDT)

Just wanted to give a warning to people about something that has bitten me
in my use of devfs. The issue I've run into is that if you do not compile
your SCSI drivers as modules (because you want the slight performance
boost gained by statically compiling them in...) and build them into the
initrd file, devfs won't see the drives attached to the affected
controllers, and won't be able to make its links. But once devfs comes
up in /dev, the "old" /dev/sdAX entries disappear, so it becomes difficult
to access the drives.

Has anyone else seen this, and if so, do you know of a solution?

Thanks,
--steve--