sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Having fun with SourceMage!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jasonflatt AT wizard.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Having fun with SourceMage!
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:42:03 +0000

On Thursday 12 December 2002 02:05 am, Phil White wrote:
> Ok, I guess I've been using SM for somewhere in the neighborhood of 6
> months.
>
> From what I've seen, even in stable, there are spells which don't cast for
> one reason or another. There's still the whole matter of molasses-y slow
> file locking, sorting, and /tmp seems to always be full of sorcery.* files
> or locklist* or some other sorcery generated files.
>
> Source Mage, at this point, seems like it's _miles_ away from 1.0. Pushing
> for 1.0 is only going to aggravate the problems.
>
> Every now and then Andrew and I get into arguments about Source Mage where
> his only defense is to say "Well, it's still in development. It's not 1.0
> yet."
>
> That doesn't excuse some of the more interesting problems of course, but if
> you're going to inflict a distribution on the world, at least make it a
> reasonably good FCS. Have everything tested and working AOK.
>
> -Phil/CERisE

It's been said (and I'm not disagreeing) that the Source Mage development
team
is short handed. Maybe you would like to help out by joining in? If you
have any skill at bash coding, I'm sure the sorcery team would appreciate the
help, even if it's only part-time. At the very least, someone who can do
testing to find bugs is certainly appreciated.

I know on my system and I'm sure on others' as well, sometimes things work or
not because of anomalies, where the reverse is true for 'the rest of the
world'. Just because a spell successfully casts on my computer doesn't
necessarily mean it will cast elsewhere. This is mostly only true for
dependencies, but occasionally for other things as well.

So, Jump in and help out. (The same goes for you, too, Casey.)

--
Jason Flatt
Section maintainer for printer