sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Having fun with SourceMage!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • To: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • Cc: Jason Flatt <jasonflatt AT wizard.com>, <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Having fun with SourceMage!
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:34:11 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Casey Harkins wrote:
<snip>
> My first task is going to put together a few different test machines that
> will spend their entire lives installing/casting/updating. I think a lot
> of the features/bugs that effect only some of us, are a result of testing
> on machines that either have been installed more/less recently, or updated
> more/less often. I'll see what I can do about automating some of this,
> e-mailing me the reports so I can investigate if something fails on one of
> them.
That would be a very good thing to have!

> I've got other plans as well which will be necessary to facilitate our
> switch from Mandrake to SourceMage at work. The biggest obstacle here is
> that our bigger network (only about ~15 machines) is 600 miles away. While
> I've had pretty good luck managing most things via ssh, when a computer
> loses net, it usually means driving out there. I'd like to create a
> specialized rescue CD that will boot, try to get itself on the network,
> and launch sshd. If a system-update renders a system unbootable, this
> could help resolve the problem.
There is a HOWTO on making bootable CDs, and I think there's even some
info on the wiki about how the install CD can be modified. You could use a
woking SM install as the CD image or something.

> The problem described in my previous rant about grimoire stability (I
> apologize if I offended anyone) I'm going to approach in two ways. First,
> using a cluster of test machines (as described above). Second, I'm going
> to create a small utility to allow me to create a custom grimoire by
> pulling spells from the various other grimoires. This allows me finer
> control over how things will get updated throughout our network.
Everyone gets cranky at the system every once in a while.
For a custom grimoire, you might want to try getting all the grimoires you
want to pull spells from, then create a custom one (perhaps in
/var/li/sorcery/grimoire/custom) by making symlinks to the other
grimoires. That way the spells in the custom grimorie will be updated at
the same time. Of course, this might result in weirdness. I don't know if
anyone has tried it before.

> I'd be happy to do some sorcery hacking as well, and will start searching
> bugzilla for open bugs when time permits.
If you make any fixes, just attatch patches to CVS to the bug and we'll
merge them in within a day or two.

> Anyway, here I am rambling away when I should be studying...
Study shmudy ;)

> -casey

PGP public key at
http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3327A9A5