sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL and crisis management - coming out the other side

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: jack AT jbertram.net
  • To: nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL and crisis management - coming out the other side
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:26:29 +0100

* nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com> [021021 09:59]:
> jack AT jbertram.net wrote:
> >Absolutely. Well, instead of saying "Mode" (which to me, by the way,
> >generally means 'promiscuous' or not, you could say "Is your network
> >card dynamic or static".
>
> hee... haven't heard the term "promiscuous" in this sense in a while...
> how old are you?

Not _that_ old... is there another (more modern) word for promiscuous
mode on a network card?

> >"This init.d spell replaces your ad-hoc init scripts with a collection
> >of init scripts managed by a spell. At present four scripts are
> >included in the spell, and you can choose each time you cast the spell
> >which scripts you want included. The spell will back up your old init
> >scripts before adding its own, and will automatically add links to the
> >appropriate run levels where they don't already exist."
>
> ok, great... Do you want to help writing the documentation in your spare
> time? You do it well. And we need someone who writes clearly to do it.

Spare time? If I had spare time I wouldn't be fixing my computer at
2am. And flattery will get you nowhere. I guess I could help with
writing documentation, but frankly I don't have enough knowledge of how
all the scripts work to write it from scratch, and I don't have enough
time to pore through and work them out. I'd be quite happy to act as
editor-and-polisher as long as I can do it all from my email client.

> >Done. Is there a way of submitting bugzilla stuff from the command
> >line? It's a real pain to have to fire up a web browser.
>
> Not that I know of. are you a straight command line kind of guy?

Well, you tell me which is easier: launching a web browser, logging in,
using mouse to click on all kinds of crap, waiting for computer to
download several web pages, or typing

jack@pylon:/# smgl-bug --spell=init.d --subject='$GATEWAY could be blank' <
bugsforinitdspell
You do not appear to have set up your bug profile. Set up now (y/n) y
Name: Jack Bertram
Email address: jack AT jbertram.net
Password: asb2398sd2khf
Thank you. Bug profile stored in ~/.smgl-bug
Submitting bug for spell init.d.....done
jack@pylon:/#

> >Sounds good - just let us all know if we have to change our configs to
> >get this right...
>
> Shouldn't have to unless I misunderstand what you mean or I really screw
> it up; I do need to know if it's buggy though. I think that the only
> thing that will happen is the spell init.d won't have it as a component
> and net-tools will check for the version of the script before changing
> anything, and since it's going to be the same script or a newer one, it
> shouldn't make any unwanted changes.

Sounds fine. So - the nettools spell will be updated, update itself in
a future sorcery update, and everything will keep on working.

> In addition, I have implemented a new option in the lib_runlevel script
> that checks for custom scripts, if the sysadmin has had the forsight to
> add one commented line to set SGL-script-version=custom.

Why not add a README file to your init.d spell which gets copied to
/etc/init.d and tells the sysadmin about these options?

best,
jack