sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL and crisis management - coming out the other side

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: jack AT jbertram.net
  • To: nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL and crisis management - coming out the other side
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 21:58:13 +0100

* nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com> [021020 19:41]:
> jack AT jbertram.net wrote:
> >Just thought I'd share my most recent experience of "sorcery update"
> >with you all in case anyone else comes across some of the same problems.
> >

> Ouch!
> >
> > Cast init.d. Don't understand networking menu. Guess and manually edit
> >init.d scripts.
>
> What was confusing? how do I make it better? I have been thinking of
> adding help files, would that help/fix things?

Help would certainly help. I didn't understand the paradigm you were
using - that there was one file which called a number of "card" files
from a different directory. Not sure what the difference between
Install and Update is either. Didn't know what "Mode" was (turned out
to be dynamic/static, but I had no clue). It would be great to have a
little more surrounding info to explain how the networking scripts
operate, if you see what i mean. The options make perfect sense, but
only in context.

Ooh - something else as well. You assume that every network will have a
default gateway set for it. In my home network, my computer dials up
ADSL using PPPoA, and so the route is set by ppp automatically. When
(if) ADSL is not active, I don't want a gateway set - so you could
probably check for $GATEWAY before issuing the route add default gw
command.

Great job on the init.d spell though - much prefer it to the previous
setup. Am feeling a lot happier about the important init scripts now.

Cheers, jack