sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Building a better init system a GNU way - was SMGL and crisis management

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>
  • To: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • Cc: jack AT jbertram.net, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Building a better init system a GNU way - was SMGL and crisis management
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:05:30 -0400

Casey Harkins wrote:

I think it might be better to unroll the for loop here and just ask the
questions in order. Two reasons:

1) It will allow dialog to be more specific to the question. For example,
the good ole' dynamic/static question could be asked something like this:

dialog --menu "How should this card determine its IP address?" 10 40 2
"DHCP" "" "static" ""

2) The questions asked can be dependent on the input: (hopefully this
beautiful tree will work out :-)

MODULE

DHCP vs STATIC
/ \
DONE IP

BROADCAST

NETMASK

GATEWAY

DONE

If DHCP is chosen, then IP, BROADCAST, NETMASK and GATEWAY don't need to
be asked.

Oh, that's beautiful... I might just cry... mainly cause I gotta recode the frickin thing now! Yay! I love it when you guys do this stuff. The beauty of open source... sniff...

Also, it might be useful for the MODULE message to mention to leave blank
for static network drivers. IIRC, the networking.sh script still attempts
to "modprobe $MODULE", even if $MODULE is empty. So this would need to be
fixed as well.

Fixed that already. =)

I still need dialogs for the various things there. Kinda in a time crunch now...

neal

--
"You can fool some of the people all of the time
--and those are the ones you have to concentrate on!"