sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL and crisis management - coming out the other side

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>
  • Cc: jack AT jbertram.net, <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL and crisis management - coming out the other side
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:44:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, nealbirch wrote:
<snip>
> for info in MODULE MODE IP BROADCAST NETMASK GATEWAY; do
> display text (hopefully) explaining what $info is;
> "What does the ethernet card $nicfile use for $info?"
> copy input to ethernet card file.
> done

I think it might be better to unroll the for loop here and just ask the
questions in order. Two reasons:

1) It will allow dialog to be more specific to the question. For example,
the good ole' dynamic/static question could be asked something like this:

dialog --menu "How should this card determine its IP address?" 10 40 2
"DHCP" "" "static" ""

2) The questions asked can be dependent on the input: (hopefully this
beautiful tree will work out :-)

MODULE

DHCP vs STATIC
/ \
DONE IP

BROADCAST

NETMASK

GATEWAY

DONE

If DHCP is chosen, then IP, BROADCAST, NETMASK and GATEWAY don't need to
be asked.

Also, it might be useful for the MODULE message to mention to leave blank
for static network drivers. IIRC, the networking.sh script still attempts
to "modprobe $MODULE", even if $MODULE is empty. So this would need to be
fixed as well.

-casey