sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery update <-> system-update

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery update <-> system-update
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 12:08:03 -0700 (PDT)

> With all due respect, I'd like to oppose such attitude. I bet you won't
> be happy if tomorrow your favorite spell gets renamed, or I publish your
> PHP-Nuke under name phpn in my section because I can logically reason
> why I did that, or I ask on the list and receive no responses against
> such name change except one -- yours. You as a spell creator here are
> more important than anybody.
> In the same vein, maintaining little-changed interface for users is
> important. Users as a mass are not supposed to have active attitude,
> although they're welcome to. My issue is that to change system interface
> to behave differently, like bind new action to the old button, you have
> to get substantial voices for it, not just reasoning. If Debian changed
> name of apt, or some apt options, now, would it make Debian users
> happy? Larry Wall wants to change regex in Perl 6 so that frequently
> used things are shorter to type, and it gets him a hell of patience
> and evangelism to even make people think about that.
> `Sorcery update' now is orthogonal to `sorcery update' which I'm used
> to, and I don't like it. But I'm trying to comply and suggest that,
> following Nick's logic, scribe then has to be primary command to
> schedule and cast spells that need updating. Why not to follow the
> change all the way through and make things orderly again?
> Thanks for listening,
>
> Sergey.

Wow, very good points Sergey. :) Can I switch bandwagons?

Seriously, though, perhaps we should map this out better. I really don't
care what naming conventions we use, as long as they are not as long as
your earlier example. ;) I'm not lazy only to a point.

Nick, thoughts, reasoning?

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

--