sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery update <-> system-update

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Nick Jennings <nkj AT namodn.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery update <-> system-update
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:26:00 -0700

Hi Sergey.

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 11:59:28AM -0400, Sergey A Lipnevich wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> If I understand correctly, what used to be `sorcery update' is now
> `sorcery system-update', while `update' option only updates sorcery
> scripts. I'd like to suggest switching these, so that well-known
> behavior is preserved. Also, the longer option name is more suitable for
> less frequently used case. I update grimoires much more frequently than
> I update sorcery (except for these tumultuous days of new sorcery
> releases ;-) ). Finally, I'm probably missing something because I can't
> attend Sunday meetings, but why are such options introduced without
> prior consideration?
> Thanks!

I started a thread on this, in sm-discuss, several weeks ago, asking
what people thought, and if anyone had any other suggestions. Anyone
that did not agree with switching the meaning of 'sorcery update' (as
I recall only one, or two, people were against it) had no suggestion
as to what we could name these different functions instead. Several
other people (not many more) said it was fine to switch it.

I know not many people responded, so It doesn't really seem like that
big of a deal. However I don't think 'switching' them, as you say, makes
any sense at all.

So I personally deliberated over this after not getting much of a response,
and decided that this is the logical way to issue the commands.

scribe controls the grimoire. You run scribe update to update the
grimoires. sorcery controls the scripts. You run sorcery update to update
the scripts.

- Nick