sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New init scripts for testing and feedback

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New init scripts for testing and feedback
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:02:50 -0700 (PDT)

> Just a quick question on another topic entirely. Before I rebuild, I
> cast gcc, glibc and the kernel, then reboot so the nice newly rebuilt
> kernel, gcc etc is used for the rebuild. Somewhere during the rebuild,
> the kernel gets cast (again!), and everything dependent on the new
> kernel (modules for alsa, video drivers, i2c, lm_sensors, etc) needs to
> be recast. Am I wrong in thinking this should wait till after a reboot
> into the new kernel? I'm just wondering if it would be simpler to dispel
> those things until after the usual rebuild cleanup and reboot into new
> kernel, then recast those things which are dependent on that new kernel.

Sounds a lot like solutions from M$. :) Anyways, it is true that some
things (alsa-drivers, lm_sensors, etc.) need to be compiled after you have
booted into the new kernel. We talked a little about this before, but no
solution presented itself.

I say that these spells do the following, using TRIGGERS:

on_cast linux run_script $SCRIPT_DIRECTORY/prepare_reboot.sh

And inside prepare_reboot.sh, we have:
#!/bin/sh

if [ ! -f /etc/rc3.d/S99<spell name>
echo << EOF
#!/bin/sh

cast <spell name>
rm /etc/rc3.d/$@
EOF

fi

echo "You will need to reboot for the kernel-dependant spells to be cast"

#EOF

Init scripts are run as root, correct? There are some obvious problems
with this (the user won't see this happening, what if it fails?, what if
it messes something up?, etc.), but it might work.

Cleaner ideas?

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

eric AT sandall.us | http://www.sourcemage.org