sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] usb printing with cups problem.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Kolb <jkolb AT brandeis.edu>
  • To: Jonathan Evraire <evraire AT tuwg.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] usb printing with cups problem.
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:18:43 -0500

no, no mention of usb.

Jonathan Evraire wrote:

When you do "lpinfo -v", do you see something like "direct
usb:/dev/usb/lp0" ?

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Jeremy Kolb wrote:

thank you very much, the problem is that in the cups interface there is
no option for usb.... but i have seen this option in the docs file. so
my guess is that cups is not built with usb support or they changed the
interface or something. im not really sure, i can't find any usb options
in the cups configure file so who know. im sure this is on my part....
printers are one of the oldest computer peripherals... yet they are one
of the most confusing things to set up :)

Jeremy

Jonathan Evraire wrote:

Hi Jeremy,
did you look up the info on your printer at linuxprinting.org?
(http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=317801) They
recommend using CUPS with the gimp-print driver... is that what you're
trying to do? If so, they provide this installation guide to help:
http://www.ebbs.com.au/~mark/cups-gimp-print.html

I haven't read through it, but they do mention USB. I myself was able
to get my HP LaserJet 1200 working via USB and as far as I recall, it was
as straightforward as the standard CUPS installation instructions. (It's
possible I need to patch the kernel according to the info on my printer on
linux-usb.org
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=700&PHPSESSID=1324939590220e647a8b7df296d225f9,
but unfortunately the page for you is incomplete:
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=577&PHPSESSID=1324939590220e647a8b7df296d225f9.
Perhaps the user listed could help you further?)

Good luck! I hope these links provide you with a the key to your
problem!

Jonathan Evraire
evraire at tuwg.com