sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New init scripts for testing and feedback

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sergey A Lipnevich <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • To: nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New init scripts for testing and feedback
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:13:27 -0400

Looks like another install queue. How about this a special attribute, "recast on init". Kernel's POST_INSTALL or whatever would simply add spells to sorcery install queue with this attribute (using colon ":" as separator, e.g.), and sorcery.sh would cast only those that have this set. No extra files, and an easy way for dialog-based `sorcery' to manage this.

--Sergey.

nealbirch wrote:

nealbirch wrote:

Eric Sandall wrote:

Anyways, it is true that some
things (alsa-drivers, lm_sensors, etc.) need to be compiled after you have
booted into the new kernel. We talked a little about this before, but no
solution presented itself.

I keep looking at /etc/init.d/sorcery.sh and wondering what the heck it's doing in there if we don't use it.

I was thinking on this on the way home from work and maybe this could actually be used in this way:

Instead of having kernel POST_INSTALL re-cast installed kernel dependent spells, export the names to /usr/sbin/sgl.install. this would require changing one line in the POST_INSTALL.
from:

cast $KERNEL_MODULE;

to:

echo $KERNEL_MODULE >>/usr/sbin/sgl.install;

(It might be smart to check if the file sgl.install already exist and remove it if it does.)

We rewrite /etc/init.d/sorcery.sh and "ln -s" it to be the last thing evoked in /etc/rc3.d and /etc/rc5.d.

Rewritten something like this:

#!/bin/bash
# /usr/bin/sgl.install
# reinstall packages that add their own modules
# from list generated after kernel is cast

KERNEL_MODULE=`cat /usr/sbin/sgl.install`

for spell in $KERNEL_MODULE; do
cast $spell
done

rm -f /usr/sbin/sgl.install