sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New init scripts for testing and feedback

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New init scripts for testing and feedback
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:46:25 -0700 (PDT)

But we _need_ a consistent startup and shutdown look. By offloading the
code for status into functions, we can make functions work in text or a
graphical mode, or a "don't print unless failed" mode that can be
configured in sorcery. Some people would like the ability to do that.

We should in any case decide on a standard init procedure and follow it
for consistency's stake. I don't care if that means that we should have a
separate maintainer for all init scripts for each spell or if the
spell-writers need to follow simple guidelines to integrate into our
functions "api", or even we will have no functions and we will force each
init script to just figure out its own way of doing things haphazardly.

I would much prefer a functions script, however.

This is our own "distribution"... why accomodate everyone else's init
scripts?

It's like saying, "Well, I don't think I should have a DETAILS file in my
spell."

Is there some reason we shouldn't be striving for some sort of
orthogonality?

The display aspects of the init process should be in its own script. Less
coding is needed, init scripts will be smaller, and life will be less
complicated.

And then, I can _choose_ to change the way my functions script looks to
suit my tastes. Rather than that, am I forced to see eighteen different
ways of making init scripts? Try showing that to somebody you are trying
to sell the idea of sourcemage.

Other distributions use functions scripts. In fact, if we don't have one,
most init scripts found on the Internet probably wouldn't run, and then
you'd have a hell of a time getting those to work unless you already had
one.

And once you have a functions script, then adapting is ten times easier
because all of the routines are pretty much already there.

It's easiest for most people if there is a functions script.

Seth