sm-discuss - Fwd: Re: [SM-Discuss] Smallest Source Mage

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Womack <eric AT lasvegasdata.com>
  • To: "sm-discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Fwd: Re: [SM-Discuss] Smallest Source Mage
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 03:03:30 -0700

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Smallest Source Mage
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 03:02:55 -0700
From: Eric Womack <eric AT lasvegasdata.com>
To: Jon Svendsen <jon-sven AT frisurf.no>

On Sunday 28 July 2002 04:29 am, you wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-07-28 at 02:50, Eric Womack wrote:
> > I have successfully gotten through the first part of a Source Mage
> > install on a 486DX2-66 with 8M of RAM and a 700M hard drive. This is a
> > laptop machine that I intend to turn into a text interface to my main
> > machine via SSH. In the interest of full disclosure, I had to remove the
> > hard drive and use another machine to install as I had no way of ataching
> > a CDROM to this machine.
>
> Does this box boot? If so, that's ipressive in itself, since i thought
> the binaries on the iso were compiled with pentium instructions ;)

Yes, it booted just fine. In fact, after it booted I compiled pcmcia-cs and
dhcpcd and got it on the network.

> That aside, I cooked up some patches that allows you to select i486
> optimizations in sorcery. These will let you compile stuff that will
> actually excute on the box. That's going to be the least of your
> problems though. The biggest of your problems is going to be that you
> simply do not have enough space (ram+disk combined), to pull this off at
> all. So shave wherever you can. strip everything. rm -rf all
> manpages/docs/<insert useless cruft here>. gcc3 is the guy who KILLED
> your SISTER. Stay away from him like he was the devil himself, cause he
> is. Also generally, if it's C++, you can't have it. feel free to build
> gcc without C++ support just to make sure. (saves you space and build
> time too)

I will be cutting it back, but I will also be continuing with gcc3.

> Use NFS or removable media for anything humanly possible. If it's not
> required for the box to run, you can't store it on the drive.

To some degree, I will - but only where needed. I want to see how far I can
get as it is.

> If you do all of this, you should be able to compile everything except
> glibc. glibc will be mean.
>
> Good luck, I hope we'll hear how it went when you're finished, (should
> be sometime around christmas) or when you've given up ;)

I will keep the list updated as I go, and thanks for the patch.

Eric