sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Smallest Source Mage

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ <cerise AT littlegreenmen.armory.com>
  • To: Eric Sandall <sandalle AT hellhound.homeip.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Smallest Source Mage
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:11:44 -0700 (PDT)

Eric Sandall said:

> Well, one reason is that from what I've seen, the "better choice" depends
> on whom your asking. Each side comes up with facts and figures that
> contradict the other side. I don't use statistics for just this reason,
> they can be used to prove anything, even contrary positions.

For the record, I haven't seen any statistics for the tmpfs side. I
also haven't heard anything except unproven claims of fragmentation
from the tmpfs side.
I've seen several statistics showing faster times using disk access.
While it hasn't been shown, I believe it's trivial that it uses less
memory.

> Therefore I agree with Julian and think tmpfs should be default, as that's
> the original way. However, it would be nice to have, during the initial
> install, a menu option to choose (similar to choosing your Language,
> keyboard settings, timezone, etc.), but have tmpfs default if they don't
> choose anything.

The original way...You mean as in "Oh, well that's just the way it's
*always* been done..."
While you're at it, someone should put in an "add 5% to compile
time" option for fun. ; ) Freedom of choice and all that.
Oh wait...It's the default setting. Never mind.

-Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ