sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Smallest Source Mage

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jon Svendsen <jon-sven AT frisurf.no>
  • To: Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ <cerise AT littlegreenmen.armory.com>
  • Cc: Eric Womack <eric AT lasvegasdata.com>, sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Smallest Source Mage
  • Date: 29 Jul 2002 10:33:05 +0200

On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 05:16, Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ wrote:
> > First of all, just to get it out of the way, what you are trying to do
> > CANNOT be done. NO WAY. While it is possible to run a linux system on
> > the hardware, you describe, a from-source deployment of bleeding edge
> > stuff like the 2.4 kernel and glibc 2.2 just WILL NOT happen.
> You have a needlessly low opinion of pre-pentium x86s.

Not really. I know from personal exactly how poorly some of the more
intensive stuff works on early post-pentium x86s, because I run one as
my primary router. The _only_ thing that keeps it above water is the
fact that it has plenty of disk. (Ok, so I _do_ assume that running on a
486 would suck more, but I think that's fair ;))